While I love a beautiful home, I also want ours to feel welcoming, warm and cozy. When my kids are away at college, I hope they look forward to returning home because of how it makes them feel. Over the years, I’ve discovered several things that make our home cozy and I believe they’re all super easy to implement anywhere!
1. There’s no such thing as too many blankets! Bonus points for faux fur or sheepskin that also add texture (see no. 3). Blankets are a given in the cooler months, but we keep them out year-round. We stash the heavier ones in the summer and the lighter ones in the winter.
2. Light the candles. Don’t save them for company or special occasions. They’re meant to be lit! The mood of a room with candlelight is immediately elevated and warm. In addition to candles, you might even consider leaving the twinkle lights up past the holidays!
3. Add texture. Woven baskets or planters, rugs, and pillows are all great ways to add texture to your space.
4. Bring the outside in. This could be in the form of potted plants, dried flowers, or grasses. Even using wooden furniture in a room adds a natural element and makes a room more cozy.
5. Sprinkle lamps around the room. Putting warm toned bulbs in lamps for lighting is so much softer than harsh overhead fixtures. Lamps create a mood in the evening and instantly make you feel more relaxed.
As you pack away holiday decor and start the new year with a fresh, decluttered space, think about ways to make your home cozy for the remaining months of winter!